Author Topic: Gaming Progress Thread  (Read 71731 times)

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
Re: Gaming Progress Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2009, 08:50:20 AM »
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (Wii)

[spoiler]Brought Porom, Palom, Luca, Calca, and Brina down to the start of the depths. They were about level 50 by the time I got there. I swapped them out for my normal party (Kain, Ceodore, Golbez, Rosa), then threw Ursula in the extra slot. She was only level 40, so I wasn't sure if it was such a good idea, but she held up fairly well. Her and Yang alone could probably finish this game alone (maybe throw in a healer too) if the enemy type weaknesses still did 4x damage. Got back to Ultros, but I still can't beat him. Kain can survive one "strong" tidal wave now, at least.

Headed back out to the Lunar Whale, picked up a new party (Gekkou, Yang, Leonora, Palom, Porom), then decided to bypass the subterrane and head right back for the depths. I accidentally clicked on the ???? underneath, which I assumed was a later area that wasn't accessible yet, and found the place to turn in my tails and adamantite, plus the new developer's office. Got adamant armor and an adamant helm; the armor isn't nearly as game-breaking as the original, and I'm guessing you'd need the full set on to get that kind of protection. I also turned in the black tail for twin stars, which reduce MP consumption by 50% in this game.

After finishing up in there, I teleported into the depths, but I was taking way too much damage, so I decided to run through the subterrane anyway. Honestly, I don't know why I'm bothering with the other characters. I should really just focus on getting my best up a few levels. I would like to use some of these characters, though, and I should get the others up just in case I'm forced to use them at some point.[/spoiler]

:edit:

[spoiler]Got to the, I'm guessing, final boss. I did fairly well on my first attempt, and have a pretty good idea of how to beat her.

Before that I finished off Ultros. He's not nearly as hard as I though; two rapid Flares were enough to finish him off, it's just getting them in before he can heal himself and tidal wave you. I ended up taking Golbez, Rydia, and Palom so I knew I had a chance of getting a few spells off.

I also killed Ultima Weapon, for the Ultima Weapon. The sword's a bit disappointing; it's strong, of course, but it has no special feature to it, and even uses the normal dark sword/katana graphic. Too many weapons in this game use this same graphic, with the same blue and gold palette... Ultima Weapon himself wasn't very hard, more of an endurance fight than anything. Easier than Ultros, in a way.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Finished it. I'll see about typing up an actual review sometime soon.[/spoiler]

Final Fantasy XII (PS2)

I forgot to mention it, but I did eventually figure out how to get to Archadia. I couldn't beat the Ahriman, though, so I decided to do some hunts and level up a bit, since I was neglecting both before I stopped playing. I just killed Orthros (he's a giant flan in this game?), which I found pretty amusing. Leveling is slow, I've only gained one level for the entire party so far.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:19:01 AM by Dragonsbrethren »

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2009, 12:46:41 AM »
Multi-game update!

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (PC)

Having collected the three keys again, my attempt this time was against Lilith. Nothing went as planned, and she's a truck. I was barely able to do any damage at all, and I was going through Full Rejuvenation potions left and right. I have 998 life. My defense is 3748, and my damage is 2820-8278, with an attack rating of 10,940. I've stopped playing for the weekend to consider how to approach this quest.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Master Quest

I had forgotten how insane the dungeons were in this version. I have 7 hearts right now, Epona's song, and have just acquired the Master Sword.

I have completed the fire and forest temples, acquired the Lens of Truth, and I have Biggoron's Sword. Unforutnately, the water temple is next... :bah: :lame:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:17:46 AM by Lenophis »

119 bugs fixed and counting.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2009, 06:15:57 AM »
Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA)

And I had forgotten how much fun this game is with this translation. Anyway, I started a new game last night, and just finished up the ship graveyard before going to bed. Current party is Knight, White Mage, Black Mage, Blue Mage. I usually have Faris as a Thief at this point, but there's not all that much worth stealing until the Walse Tower. You don't start getting Thief-exclusive gear until Karnak, so I figure I'll work on Blue Mage, then switch her over at the tower. I briefly had her as a Black Mage as well, for the Torna Canal, so she has !Black level 1, and everyone else has one level towards Blue Mage. It's easier to just turn your whole party into them rather than trying to get an enemy to hit one character (although that is better in a way; you have more chances of getting extra Leather Shoes and some Elixirs early).

On my way to Karnak. These jobs aren't working well for me; I actually had to use Phoenix Down a few times. I don't remember ever having trouble with the beginning of the game, but I usually have two decent attackers at this point.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:26:18 AM by Dragonsbrethren »

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2009, 02:11:58 AM »
On my way to Karnak. These jobs aren't working well for me; I actually had to use Phoenix Down a few times. I don't remember ever having trouble with the beginning of the game, but I usually have two decent attackers at this point.
The Waltz jobs aren't really that great of a bunch, if memory serves. I usually stick with what I have until after the Karnak acquisition.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Master Quest

The spirit temple sucks in this version. Way too much traveling back and forth through time. The water temple wasn't all bad, but the shadow temple was a real yak job on my part, since I wound up doing a ton of backtracking. I even died in Ganon's castle, cause :isuck: ed in the fire barrier test. That death was my only death, which kind of sucked, cause I had 15 hearts, too. Hell, it's better than the 13 deaths I had the first time I played this. :happy:

119 bugs fixed and counting.

Deathlike2

• FF4 R&D Master
  • I'm looking at you, bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2009, 03:21:43 PM »
Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA)

And I had forgotten how much fun this game is with this translation. Anyway, I started a new game last night, and just finished up the ship graveyard before going to bed. Current party is Knight, White Mage, Black Mage, Blue Mage. I usually have Faris as a Thief at this point, but there's not all that much worth stealing until the Walse Tower. You don't start getting Thief-exclusive gear until Karnak, so I figure I'll work on Blue Mage, then switch her over at the tower. I briefly had her as a Black Mage as well, for the Torna Canal, so she has !Black level 1, and everyone else has one level towards Blue Mage. It's easier to just turn your whole party into them rather than trying to get an enemy to hit one character (although that is better in a way; you have more chances of getting extra Leather Shoes and some Elixirs early).

You can steal a fair bunch of stuff at Walse's hidden Shiva-path (well, primarily Mythril Swords)... You don't want to stay as Knight forever, so just go Mystic Knight since you get some Agility to go with the Strength.

Here's a simple way to make your mages not suck in normal battles: Stay as Monk until you learn Brawl (Bare Handed). Then every normal becomes stupidly easy.

If you have healing problems, take the Hiryuu or whatever it was renamed in the game and goto Lenna's castle and pick up the Healing Rod. Free Cure2/Cura for any character you make a White Mage (Red Mage is OK, but the Magic Power is mediocre so the healing will be somewhat disappointing).

It is also a good idea to get the 3 levels of Red Mage... the !Red command becomes useful for 1/2 the game (depending how much you care for the level 4-5 magic), and you get some pretty good insta-offense until that becomes really lame...
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack Download Latest: v1.48

Video Demos: #1 #2 #3

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX)

Another 200.6% file in the retranslation, this time playing on my PS2, since I was able to burn it finally. I got the Val Manwe/Crissaegrim almost as soon as I walked in the library, so the inverted castle was pathetically easy.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2009, 11:50:47 AM »
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GCN)

I was going through withdraw; too much time away from this awesome game. Since I spent the money I had stashed way for the Trilogy on computer repairs, I decided to pop in the GCN version and play through the end, just to see if I'm still awesome: I am. I actually wasn't sure if I would be or not, I thought it might take a while to adapt to the classic controls again, but I had no problem at all. I don't really want to start a new game, just in case I do scrounge up money for the Trilogy, but I might not be able to stop myself...

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2009, 04:37:21 AM »
Rockman X3 (PSX)

Bleh, no real progress. I burned a copy of this, but the music doesn't play on the actual console. That kind of defeats the purpose of this version, considering it has some pretty bad slowdown in places compared to the SNES original (well, the cutscenes play fine, which are cool). I hope No-Intro starts a PSX project, because I am getting sick of these bad rips that play fine in emulators, but fail on the actual hardware. I've run into two other games like that, and I don't think it's my burner or discs, since everything else I've tried has played just fine. I suppose it could be a problem with swapping, but it seems odd that it would only crop up with three games.

I looked into picking up an actual copy, of course, but it's way overpriced. I'd be better off picking up the X Collection.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:18:39 AM by Dragonsbrethren »

I.S.T.

• i doesnt no how 2 blits
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:09 AM »
Look for redump.org stuff

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2009, 08:43:18 AM »
Thanks for the link, but they don't have Rockman X3 listed. I'll definitely be using it to verify any other games, though.

Huh, these expect each track to be stored in its own file? Interesting, I've never encountered a rip in that format, nor can I rip my own games to it. Is there an easy way to do so? I'd imagine it could be automated using the cue file.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:14:24 AM by Dragonsbrethren »

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)

Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't be playing this one either, if I plan on picking up the Trilogy. I never finished my Hypermode game though, and decided to give Mogenar another try. Beat it with no problem, I don't know why I had such a hard time with it before (can a boss ever be truly difficult in a game where you can make yourself invincible at any time?).

Just got the ship grapple. I had a little trouble with the security drone, but Ghor was pretty pathetic.

Got the spider ball. Gandrayda gave me a bit of trouble at first, until I remembered how easy it was to completely refill your energy by screw attacking her swarmbot tornado form.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:29:31 AM by Dragonsbrethren »

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2009, 02:56:12 PM »
Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA)

This and FF5 arrived yesterday, but I'm not too interested in playing through the beginning of that again, so I started on this one first. Got up to defending the esper last night and the opera house so far today. Well, technically I'm not at the opera house; I'm still outside working on getting my first few spells.

About to go to Crescent Island

Nearly done with the floating continent. Decided to hop off and get a few monsters that were missing from my bestiary, even though I don't really care about them.

Final Fantasy (NES)

Got this one for free off the Wii's VC. I'm currently at Elfland, preparing for the marsh cave.

Still preparing...

I'm at the part where you need to guide the demolition troopers to blow up...something, I can't even remember what anymore. A wall, I think. This section is extremely frustrating on this difficulty, it seems like they die if they get shot once, so it all comes down to memorization. All I find myself asking is why can't I just go and blow up the wall myself? Samus is a walking tank; these soldiers are made of cardboard...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 03:21:30 PM by Dragonsbrethren »

vivify93

• Liquid Flame
  • White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2009, 06:30:56 AM »
Bahamut Lagoon (SFC)
At the chapter "Full of Regret". Again. I'll be passing it this time though.

Breath of Fire: The Dragon Warrior (GBA)
Got the US GBA version with the palette restoration patch. I'm liking it better than the SNES version so far, basically because now, it is the SNES version with an edited GUI and extra cutscenes. I'm currently at the beginning.

Breath of Fire IV: The Endless Ones (PS1)
I got through the cave to Wyndia, and now I'm there. Whoo. I talked to the king and apprenticed someone to Momo.

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (SFC)
Turns out I didn't need to level up, and I was stalling for no reason. So after a lot of BS, I'm an adult and I married Flora. I have a save where I married Bianca though.

Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls (GBA)
FFI: I'm about to enter the Gulg Volcano. Marilith will be murdered.
FFII: Saved outside of Palm with Minwu in tow. Then I'm off to go grab Holy for Minwu for "Soul of Rebirth".

Final Fantasy III (FC)
...Accidentally loaded state. Then I started over, planning to cheat. So now I'm outside Salonia.

Restarted again because I forgot how I was training everyone. I have a list now though, so we should be good!

Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Leveling everyone up to level 30 in Upper Junon still. Yuffie and Cait Sith are the two left to go.

Mother 3 (GBA)
Playing this while following the online handbook. So much stuff I never knew of...!

Riviera: The Promised Land (GBA)
Ein got his memories back, yay. Now I'm off to some forest place to meet Cierra.

Tales of Destiny II (PS1)
I'm now about to go get Undine. Again, "oon-dee-nee!" :bah:
Hacking is hard. :sad:

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »

Finally led the idiots to the wall (and realized I was right there every time I "died"...! :angry:), and went and killed Omega Ridley. Another "he'd be dangerous if I wasn't nearly invincible" boss. Now I just need to pick up the last few items I haven't gotten yet and go to Phaaze.

About to get the Falcon. This is usually the time my motivation to play through this game runs out.

darkmage

• Phantom Train
  • Skating the Razor
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)
Starting with Prime 1 to get used to the Wii's control scheme. Never played Prime 3. Interesting. I'd prefer a keyboard and mouse, though.

Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Beat the game several times, first time playing with a walkthrough. Never knew how Limit Breaks were built up before! Building up everyone's before Junon.

Resident Evil (Wii)
Nice shiny new graphics for the same control scheme. Playing with the classic controller, just got the shotgun.

Final Fantasy IV (DS)
Just beat it for the first time in 3D! Ahhh, 3D...

Final Fantasy III (DS)
...Actually, don't remember. But I was planning on picking it back up since I beat FFIV.